Superstorm Sandy One Year Later

Sandy one year later

NHRegister.com: $30M available for state homeowners hit by Sandy

MILFORD >> Standing in City Hall before five photographs of the wreckage of Milford after Superstorm Sandy, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy, Mayor Ben Blake and U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro announced that $30 million would soon be distributed to state homeowners who need money for Sandy recovery.

Blake said the conference was meant to be a one-year remembrance of Sandy, which came ashore Oct. 29, 2012, but also an educational tool to help draw the attention of victims of the storm to services and funds that they might not be aware of.

CTPost.com: DeLauro: GOP faction Delayed Sandy Help

U.S. Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn, on Monday ripped into Republicans in Congress for delaying Sandy relief “for a full 79 days,” while homeowners suffered with houses rendered uninhabitable with no relief money in sight.

“This was because a majority in Congress refused to support a disaster aid package,” DeLauro said. “I might add that since then, some of the members from Colorado who refused to vote for Sandy aid have themselves requested aid for the terrible flood in their state,” she said.

DeLauro and other officials said a second batch of Sandy aid will be made available to Connecticut this week. This latest money, $65 million, will be from the Department of Housing and Urban Development for infrastructure and “long-term resilience projects,” the details for which will be announced over the next few days.

SNIP

State Housing Commissioner Evonne M. Klein said within the next two to three weeks, the latest pool of $30 million in disaster relief money will be made available to those homeowners.

“The application process is moving forward, and the Sandy team will be notifying applicants of their eligibility, and they will be scheduling contractors. Our goal is to get repairs started and contractors out to your homes as soon as possible.”

Klein said residents who still are in need of help should call 866-272-1976 to schedule a meeting with an intake counselor. The intake centers, one of which is in the Parsons Government Complex on River Street in Milford, are open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday though Friday, and on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
“If you’ve been notified that your application is not complete, call that number and make an appointment,” Klein said.

NBCConnecticut.com: Superstorm-Sandy-Damage-Still-Visible-One-Year-Later

“Complete recovery will not take days, weeks or months, but years. While government resources are often frustrating in the speed of their delivery, federal and state funding will continue to assist our rebuilding efforts,” said Milford Mayor Ben Blake.

Mayor Ben Blake reiterated that homeowners should be applying for federal and state funding like FEMA Hazard Mitigation Funding and the recent $30 million in grant money that people are applying for through Intake Centers.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s