Milford Professional Firefighters and a special visitor from the North Pole are spreading the holiday cheer with the 50th annual Toys for Tots in the city.
Mayor Ben Blake says any Milford family in need of a little help this holiday can call 203-874-6783 after November 30th.
However, if you would like to donate, you have two ways to do so.
You can bring a new and unwrapped toy, book or game to any Milford Fire Station, Five Below, Milford’s City Clerks’ Office, Café Atlantique, or Durham School Services. You may also mail checks to:
Toys for Tots, Station 7
55 Wheelers Farm Road
Milford, CT 06461
Nice to show support, Ben!
Good morning, Milford! Election Day is finally here. Polls across our great city will open at 6am and close at 8pm. To find your polling location please visit this website or you can visit this site as well.. Enter in your address and it will display your proper polling location.
Here is the list of polling locations for this year’s Election:
◾Margaret Egan Center: 35 Mathew Street
◾Orange Avenue School: 260 Orange Avenue
◾Foran High School – 80 Foran Road
◾JFK School: 404 West Avenue
◾West Shore Recreation Area: 14 Benham Avenue
◾Meadowside School: 80 Seemans Lane
◾Harborside Middle School: 175 High Street
Vote Blake, Casey and the Democrats on Row A!
Come out and support Team Milford!
Need a ride to the polls? Call the Milford Democrats at 203-783-0287.
For more information on voting locations you may access the City of Milford Registrar of Voters website here.
See you out there at the polls! Thank you for your support!
Milford Democratic Candidates for
the 5th District of Milford, Connecticut
Dora is a lifelong Milford resident seeking her second term as Alderman. She has assisted Fifth District residents with commercial encroachment and overdevelopment issues.
- Board of Aldermen, Liaison to the Board of Education, Council on Aging and the DHS
- SCSU, B.S. Education
- Milford 375th Anniversary Time Capsule Committee
- Milford Oyster Festival Volunteer
- Past Participant in Relay for Life
- Past Member Milford Fine Arts Council and Milford Land Trust
“I continue to support a balanced approach to the revitalization of downtown Milford and an expansion of Milford’s Senior Tax Relief program. We have a rich history to honor and an obligation to keep Milford a vibrant city for future generations.”
Bryan brings experience and vision to his bid for a third term on the Board of Aldermen. A vocal and informed advocate, he has worked to provide solutions and increase communications with residents of the Fifth District on affordable housing, public safety, education, neighborhood preservation, and environmental protection issues.
- Graduate of UCONN and Fordham University
- Member, Milford Preservation Trust
- Member, Milford Historical Society
- Chair, Milford 375th Anniversary Souvenirs Committee
- Alumni, Milford Citizens Police Academy
- Chair, Aldermanic Public Works Committee
- Third grade teacher in Bronx, NY
“We need to keep Milford attractive and competitive, and that means to respect our unique environment, appreciate our seniors, work to achieve a quality education for our children, and maintain an affordable and stable tax base.”
Claire is a long time resident of Milford and enjoys serving the city of Milford in various roles. She is a teacher at St. James School and is involved with many outreach activities. Claire is eager to serve the residents of the 5th district for a full term.
- B.S. Psychology, Sacred Heart University
- M.A. Education, University of Bridgeport
- Teacher, St. James School, Stratford, 3rd, 5th and 6th grade students
- Volunteer, St. Agnes Vacation Bible School
- Commissioner, Milford Conservation Commission
- Worked at the Diocese of Bridgeport, 24 years
Claire and her husband of 27 years have lived in Milford since 1988 and they have two children.
Phil teaches Advanced Placement Chemistry at Stratford High School and has a Master of Science in Education. He is a CT certified School Administrator and lives with his wife at 235 High Street. Phil can be reached at (203) 736-7279.
- Get rid of top-heavy management in schools and put money directly towards students and teachers in classrooms.
- Focus on recruiting and developing the best team of teachers in CT and giving them what they need to succeed.
- Connect students early with learning interests, goals, and opportunities for career development.
“I am committed to attending every BOE meeting and poring over every document available to me in order to make informed choices in the best interests of the youth, parents, and greater citizenry of Milford”
Charlie’s experience as a furniture designer has trained him to visualize a product or a building when it is still on paper. He believes it is a very important skill for a member of the Planning and Zoning Board. Charlie started volunteering at age 19 and has served his community ever since.
- Board of Directors, Bridges
- Former Mentor, “Bridges Across All Ages Program”
- Former Housing Coordinator, CT Special Olympics
- Studied Engineering and Design at City College of New York and Jiranek School of Design
- President, CT Jaycees (1989-1990)
Charles and his wife Janet have two grown children. They enjoy and cherish two grandchildren.
Milford Democratic Candidates for
the 4th District of Milford, Connecticut
Phil Vetro is Chairman of the Board of Aldermen and is seeking his 7th term on that Board. He is a Marine Corps Veteran who served two tours during the Vietnam War. Phil has owned and operated his own business, Vetro Construction LLC, since 1974.
- Chairman, Board of Aldermen
- Served eight years on the Planning & Zoning Board, and served as Chairman
- Board of Directors of the United Way of Milford, and serves on the Executive Board
- Captain, of the Point Beach Volunteer Fire Engine Co. #6 for 30 years
- Milford DTC Distinguished Service Award, 2011
- Italian-American of the Year Award, 2014, Milford Columbus Committee
Phil and his wife Peggi have lived in Milford for the last 44 years. They have two grown sons, Phil Jr and Thomas, and four grandchildren.
Susan Shaw and her family are long time Milford residents. She has served on the Planning and Zoning Board and currently serves on the Board of Aldermen. She works for UMCOR and the State’s Long Term Sandy Recovery Group.
- Mayor’s Long Term Sandy Relief Task Force
- Board of Directors, Milford Environmental Protection Initiative
- Past Chairwoman, Planning & Zoning Board
- Former President, Downtown Milford Business Association
Susan is married to Phil Givens, graphic artist and printer. They have a son, James, who is attending college and serves on the Milford Democratic Town Committee.
Earl Whiskeyman is seeking re-election to the Board of Education. Earl is a Vietnam Veteran and has been a resident of Woodmont in Milford since 1979. He believes that when making decisions about education, we need to remember “the student first.”
- Director of Information Technology, Naugatuck Public Schools (2004 – 2009)
- Former Instructor and Director, Graduate Program in Software Engineering Fairfield University
- Volunteer at Milford Hospital, Treasurer of the Milford Hospital Auxiliary
- Director, Board of Governors for Area Cooperative Educational Services (ACES)
- Vietnam Veteran, active service, 1963 – 1965
Earl and his wife of 46 years, Rita, have five adult children, all of whom attended Milford Public Schools. Earl is also the grandfather of 10.
Jess Gregory is an experienced educator that started her teaching career in the Milford Public Schools from which she graduated. She values the experience learners have in the classroom, both socially and academically.
- Published academic author
- Assistant Professor of Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, UB and SCSU
- Science Teacher, 1997 to 2009
- Ed.D. in Education Leadership – UB, 2007
- M.S. Environmental Education SCSU, 2003
- A.B. Classical Studies – Dartmouth College, 1995
Jess is married to Matthew Hunt, a Woodmont Volunteer Fireman and a graduate of Milford Public Schools.
“A successful child is a successful part of our community.”
Dr. Richard Lutz is a 40 year resident of Milford and is a professor at Quinnipiac University teaching both undergraduate and gradute students. He is seeking your support to represent the interests of the 4th District and the city of Milford on the Planning and Zoning Board.
- Former Burgess for the Borough of Woodmont
- Former member, Inlands Wetlands Commission
- Executive Board, Milford Preservation Trust
- Former Cub and Boy Scout Leader
- Former SCORE Business Consultant
- BS Psychology, Executive MBA, Doctorate in Management
- Editorial Reviewer, the Management Institute
Richard and his wife Katherine have three children and five grandchildren.
Milford Democratic Candidates for
the 3rd District of Milford, Connecticut
Marty Hardiman has served the city of Milford for nearly 30 years in both elected and appointed positions. He is seeking his fith term on the Board of Aldermen.
- Alderman, Third District, eight years
- Board of Education, six years
- Constable, ten years
- Zoning Board of Appeals, five years
- Co-Founder, Milford Irish Heritage Society, Parade Grand Marshal 2010
- Member of the Permanent School Building Committee and Public Safety Committee
Marty, his wife Linda, and their family, enjoy many of the amenities of Milford, especially the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, an event which Marty chairs annually. As a long-time public servant, Marty has continually acted in the best interests of his constituency, has been a valuable voice for the residents of the Third District, and has been an outstanding official for all of Milford.
A life-long resident of Milford’s Third District, Frank Smith has served the citizens of Milford in many capacities over the years. He currently serves on the Board of Aldermen and is Chairman of the Ordinance Committee. Frank is very active in regional arts and environmental organizations.
- Former Member, Council on Aging, Inland Wetlands Agency
- Has served on Devon Revitalization Committee, Walnut Beach, Wildmere Beach, and Laurel Beach Associations
- Chair, Aldermanic Ordinance Committee
Frank and his wife Diane have three grown children, Chris, Hilliary and Bret.
“I am committed to providing responsive local government for the people of Devon and West Shore.”
Bob currently serves on the Board of Education in the 3rd District. He has an accomplished career in law and serves as the Supervisory Assistant State’s Attorney. Bob enjoys leading and guiding students in school sports programs and volunteering his time in youth civic organizations.
- Majority Leader, Milford Board of Education
- Former Chairman, Milford Ethics Commission
- Notre Dame University, Suffolk Law School
- Milford Junior Baseball, Coach
- Member, Milford Wrestling Club
- Milford United Soccer Club Coach
- St Joseph HS Parent’s Assoc. (Co-President)
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout/Leader
Bob and his wife Anita have three grown children.
Sonia is a resident of Milford and was an elementary school teacher at Orange Avenue School. She looks to bring her experience and work ethic as a teacher to the Board of Education in the 3rd District.
- 5th Grade Teacher, Orange Avenue School
- 4th Grade Teacher in Little Rock, Arkansas
- Technology Integrationist in Escazu, Costa Rica for 2 years – PK-12th grade
- BA University of CT, MAT Sacred Heart University
- MS in Integrating Technology into the Classroom, Walden University
Sonia and her husband have one young boy.
Joan has worked in accounting and as an ETF advisor for the last 28 years. She is an active member of her community, participating and holding leadership positions in several different volunteer organizations. She hopes to represent the 3rd District on the Planning & Zoning Board.
- Current Constable
- Housatonic Community College, Accounting
- Member, Milford Elks Club
- Former President and Treasurer, Travis C. Kitchen VFW Post 7788 Ladies Auxiliary
- Opposed the dump at 990 Naugatuck
Joan and her husband Eric have two grown daughters, Jonel and Erica, both graduates of Milford Public Schools and one granddaughter.
Milford Democratic Candidates for
the 2nd District of Milford, Connecticut
Nick is a Lifelong resident of Milford. He has distinguished himself for holding the line on spending. Nick has worked to preserve open space, stop over-development and expand recreational facilities and activities for the young and elderly. Nick will work to protect the quality of life for Milford Citizens.
- Majority Leader, Board of Aldermen
- Retired Milford Firefighter
- Retired Network Administrator
- Member, Milford Elks
- Member, East Shore Middle School PTA
Nick and his wife, Kathy, have two grown daughters and two grandchildren.
“I thank you all for your support over the past 16 years as your Alderman. I respectfully ask for your consideration again on this upcoming election.”
Born and raised in Milford and raising her family here, Janet is seeking her third term on the Board of Aldermen. She served on the Planning and Zoning board for four years and served two years on the Board of Education representing the second district.
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BS degree in Corporate Communications, SCSU
- SMS – Solar Marketing Specialist
- Field reporter for “Radio Vibes” WPKN 89.5FM
- Milford Public Schools Substitute Teacher
- Le Leche League Leader Milford (1997-2004)
Janet and her husband David have been married for 22 years and have three children. One is attending college and the other two are in Milford Public Schools.
“One of our most important challenges is achieving a budget that balances a quality education for our children with taxes that are fair to our senior citizens. The start for a better tomorrow begins today.”
Sue wants to continue the important work of ensuring we have a strong school system that meets the needs of every student. She believes we should prepare each student for full and active participation in our society, while assuring our tax dollars are being well spent.
- Milford Board of Education 2011-2015. Majority Leader, 2011-2013. Chairwoman, 2013-Present
- PTA member since 1992
- CT PTA Board of Directors, 2004-2011, Elaine Boulay Award (2006)
- Business Owner and Licensed Early Childhood Professional for over 20 years
- PTA Council Honorary Life Achievement, 2010
Susan has three children, all educated in Milford Public Schools.
“I am proud of our schools and believe every student is capable of success. We have a responsibility to offer students rigorous and diverse opportunities, in a climate of high expectations, to help each and every child reach their full potential.”
As a mother of two children in the Milford Public Schools, Jen is committed to ensuring our schools offer the best education possible for all students. Jen believes in clarity and transparency in government. She has more than 20 years of experience in corporate accounting and finance.
- Current member, Board of Education and Permanent School Facilities Building Committee
- Former Meadowside PTA Treasurer and Parliamentarian
- B.S. in Accounting, UCONN 1993
- MBA, University of New Haven 2013
Jen and her husband Joe have two boys. Their children are both attending Milford Public Schools.
“I believe that education through a well-balanced and equitable public school system is vital to our community. All of Milford’s children should have an equal opportunity to learn, thrive and succeed.”
Sarah is seeking her first term on the Planning & Zoning Board. In her time on the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) she has demonstrated her understanding for the balance between the nuts-and-bolts of zoning enforcement and the preservation of our city’s communities, natural environments and coastline.
- Georgetown University, BA in Government
- Member, Milford Zoning Board of Appeals
- Member, Milford Democratic Town Committee
- Marketing and Communications Manager for Earthplace in Westport
Sarah’s good work at Earthplace is focused on building excitement for nature through education, experience and action. She will couple that passion with her ZBA experience as member of the Planning & Zoning Board.
“My family and I have lived in Milford for over a decade, and we are grateful every day to call the small-city-with-a-big-heart home. I look forward to honoring Milford’s valued history and shaping its exciting future as a member of the Planning & Zoning Board.”
Milford Democratic Candidates for
the 1st District of Milford, Connecticut
Greta Stanford, a former teacher in the Milford School system at Live Oaks Elementary and Foran High, is seeking her third term on the Board of Aldermen. She is an asset to many civic organizations in the city.
- Member, Devon Rotary liaison to the Law Interact Club
- Co-chair Rotary Scholarship Committee
- Recipient of the PTA Lifetime Member Award
- Recipient of the Rotary Service Above Self Award
- Milford Education Foundation Board
- Board of Aldermen liaison, Pension Board and Health Board
Greta and her husband Stan have one son, Greg, who is married to Tami. They also have 3 wonderful grandchildren, Taylor, Hunter and Trinity.
“My constituents’ concerns are my concerns”
Ellen Beatty is seeking her first term on the Board of Aldermen after an accomplished career in nursing and higher education. She currently serves as a Commissioner on Milford Transit District.
- B.S. Molloy College (Nursing)
- M.A. New York University (Nursing)
- M.Ed. & Ph.D. Columbia University
- Professor Emeritus, Public Health and Nursing – Southern Connecticut State University
- Former Director of Nursing Program, Mercy College
- Commissioner, Milford Transit District
- Executive Board Member of the Visiting Nurse Association of South Central Connecticut
Ellen’s husband Ed is a retired Battalion Chief with the Milford Fire Department and is an Eagle Scout, as are his adult three sons Luke, Zack (spouse Laura), and Nicholas (spouse Allison).
Ann Grosso Arnold has lived in Milford for nearly 30 years. She graduated from Stratford High School, earned an engineering degree from Virginia Tech, and served in numerous PTAs while her children attended Milford Public Schools.
- Member, Christ of the Redeemer Roman Catholic Church
- Longstanding writer for the Mathewson and Harborside school newsletters
- Former Member, Jonathan Law Athletic Association and Post Prom Committee
- Former member, Milford Lions Club
Ann and her husband, Ray Arnold, have two children that have recently graduated from Jonathan Law High School (2011 and 2014) and are now in college.
Pat is a volunteer and advocate for students with special needs. He is seeking the honor of your vote this upcoming election and hopes to serve the interests of the 1st District on the Board of Education.
- 20 years of work experience in expedited freight, LTL, warehousing and logistics
- Salve Regina University, B.S. Business Management
- V.P. Operations, Pace Motor Lines
- Volunteer for special needs children groups
Pat is married to his wife, Lisa and enjoy two wonderful boys, Dominic and Dante.
Jason is a Milford resident and entrepreneur. He is a Business Operations Manager having worked in the sports and non-profit industries. Jason is motivated by challenges and is eager to learn and contribute as your representative on the 1st District Planning & Zoning Board.
- MBA from Fairfield University, Bachelor’s Degree from University at Buffalo
- Former Director, Bridgeport Bluefish, Tennis Foundation of Connecticut
- Member, Milford Democratic Town Committee
- Co-Founder of the Torrington Titans collegiate baseball team, first crowd-sourced baseball team in America
Jason and his wife Jennifer have two daughters, Olivia and Callie.